Next week I'll be attending the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST) annual Boston meet-up at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel along with several Akamai colleagues. FIRST is a global non-profit organization that brings together computer security incident response teams (CSIRTs) from over 240 corporations, government bodies, universities and other institutions spread across the Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceania.
These are the Internet's first responders, keeping watch over every threat against their customers and the general public. They help protect individuals and entities from myriad attacks and are among the industry's best and brightest.
I've learned a ton from the CSIRT team here at Akamai, and I'm looking forward to expanding my network of incident response soldiers from around the globe.
Here's a description of the event from the FIRST website:
The annual FIRST conference provides a setting for conference participants to attend a wide range of presentations delivered by leading experts in both the CSIRT field and from the global security community. The conference also creates opportunities for networking, collaboration, and sharing technical information and management practices. The conference enables attendees to meet their peers and build confidential relationships across corporate disciplines and geographical boundaries. FIRST conference participants include not only CSIRT staff, but also IT managers, network and system administrators, software and hardware vendors, law enforcement representatives, security solutions providers, telecommunications organizations, ISPs, and general computer and network security personnel.
Topics covered include:
- Advanced techniques in security incident prevention, detection and response
- Latest advances in computer and network security tools
- Shared views, experiences, and resolutions in the computer security incident response field
The conference runs Monday through Friday with registration starting at 2 p.m. Sunday. There will be a Sunday evening welcome reception and keynotes to start each day.
Panel sessions are split into three tracks:
- Incident Response
Features planned for this year include:
- Specialist Tracks: Increased focus on Incident Response, Management and Technical topics relevant to CSIRTs.
- Case Studies: Lessons learned in dealing with real events, from discovery to remediation. Share practical experiences in dealing with cyber incidents along with the tools that provided most valuable.
- Special Interest Group (SIG) Meetings: Providing a forum where FIRST members can discuss topics of common interest to the Incident Response community.
- Lightning Talks: Attendees are welcome to sign-up first-come, first-served and present to their peers in the main ballroom at scheduled times.
- Vendor Showcase: Special Tuesday-evening event showcasing FIRST vendors and attendees to network in a relaxed setting with beverages and appetizers.
I hope to see you there.